Management Sciences for Health is a sub-grantee on a new five-year Associate Award in Nigeria for the MEASURE Evaluation Phase III Project. Through this USAID/Nigeria-funded award, MSH will provide leadership and organizational development technical assistance to support the implementation and sustainability of M&E policies and procedures leading to improved health outcomes.
Seconded to the project’s John Snow, Inc. office in Abuja, the Senior Organizational Development Advisor will serve on a core team of technical experts and work with M&E teams in local institutions to develop skills in leadership, management, systems thinking, change management, communication, decision-making, and improve planning and implementation.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track record of working collaboratively and effectively facilitating organizational change and development with senior-level stakeholders at all levels of the Nigerian government, operating in a complex partnership environment. The candidate should possess state-of-the-art skills in all facets of organizational development; this includes experience creating and adapting management systems that lead to sustainable organizational change.
This position is subject to project award and funding.
- Represent the MEASURE project at all levels of Nigerian government (Local, State, and Federal) with multiple senior-level stakeholders (committees, technical working groups, administrative bodies) to support the development of a rational structure for policy and decision-making, aligning the needs of all stakeholders, assessing the needs and gaps in the M&E system, planning for future enhancements to that system, and mobilizing resources for M&E.
- Establish technical strategic direction for the leadership and OD component of the project and continuously seek opportunities for different and innovative approaches to address organizational challenges and opportunities in efforts to strengthen M&E systems.
- Contribute to and support the design and implementation of assessments of organizational/ management systems. Track monitoring indicators and perform regular evaluations of progress versus indicators.
- Lead and facilitate MSH’s Leadership Development Program within the scope of MEASURE Nigeria’s programs. Design and provide OD-related technical assistance, including workshop facilitation and on-site coaching and mentoring to teams of central and local health sector agencies to strengthen their leadership and organizational effectiveness capacity.
- Identify technical assistance requirements to be filled by local consultants.
- Develop scopes of work for local consultants, orient, manage and monitor their work for timely and effective deliverables and results.
- Develop annual work plan for implementation of outputs and achieving results.
- Ensure high-quality, evidence-based, results-oriented reporting and data for decision-making for the activities undertaken.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- Minimum of a Master’s level education in organizational development, public administration, management, social sciences or a related field.
- Significant relevant experience in areas directly related to capacity development and institutional strengthening (minimum of 8 years of overall work experience).
- Demonstrated ability to operate successfully as a sole practitioner for OD in a complex partnership environment (as evidenced through previous positions). Experience collaborating with partners on activities that require providing coaching and performance feedback, both on an individual and organizational level.
- Experience building and maintaining professional and productive relationships with senior-level government officials that facilitate organizational change management and develop and strengthen their leadership and organizational effectiveness capacity.
- Knowledge of and experience in leadership development, management and public sector systems (preferably in health) capacity development and M&E in Nigeria desirable.
- Proven experience providing organizational capacity development and capacity assessment technical assistance to public health institutions, programs or projects.
- Strong facilitation skills.
- Flexible and able to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Good organizational and networking skills.
- Strong initiative and self-motivation with minimal supervision required.
- Computer literacy with competence in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work independently as well as in collaboration with colleagues and partners.
- Willingness to travel within the country, sometimes to remote locations.