The Senior Process Engineer takes responsibility for the functional requirements of a facility that safely and economically processes feedstock into product(s) meeting client requirements. The Senior Process Engineer manages completion of ‘standard’ deliverables, including process descriptions, P&IDs and data sheets that define the equipment, control, and safety systems required for start-up, operation, shut down, maintenance and inspection of the facility.
Main Function within Department:
- Produce process deliverables: PFDs, philosophies, P&IDs, data sheets, complete simulations for process technologies from first principles where necessary. Will guide others in these tasks.
· Determine the number and requirements for the documents, write or check them
· Establish the validity of potential simulation methods, determine the extent of the 'cases' required to establish the design loads for PFDs, H&M balances, seeking guidance where necessary. Run simulations, or check the product of others
· To be technically competent in essentially all unit operations (fluid flow, separation, heat transfer, mass transfer, etc.)
· Set up the documents for equipment and instrument data sheets, and execute the calculations required
· Incorporate philosophies, calculations and comments into P&ID mark-ups, prepare PRNs and check the P&ID work of others as appropriate
· Propose and agree the requirements and content of reports and technical notes. Organise, execute, check the work as appropriate.
· Determine the extent and format of lists and schedules to fulfil the requirements of the design basis and scope of work. Produce, check / approve the deliverables as appropriate.
· To use his/her best efforts to assist in other activities in order to meet project schedules and deadlines
· Demonstrate experience as a lead or section lead with 4 or more staff for projects/studies over a number of months
· Be capable of fulfilling a range of tasks and duties, sometimes simultaneously, seeking additional resources from departmental management where necessary
· Provide technical direction in one or more process technologies (e.g. oil & gas production, gas treating, NGL recovery, LNG, refining or petrochemicals units)
· Support new business generation by inputting to proposals, estimates and plans with the assistance of others
· Use and understand the background of CMS, project systems and procedures, draft alternative sections for discussion with departmental management
· Have skills in persuasion and assertion, presenting cases to projects and reaching a compromise where necessary
· Agree the structure of written reports and prepare the content for review and approval; make formal Process Technical Presentations internally to the company
· Be adaptable, demonstrating that they can meet all change(s) in technology and working practices, actively and positively supporting the need to develop multiple skills
· Be commercially and risk aware, preparing economic analyses and quantifying risks, suggesting alternatives and proposing mitigation or avoidance measures on HSE, HAZOP, technical and commercial risk
· React positively to challenges, and cope with pressure of work