- The Senior Program Officer, Health System Strengthening is to provide technical and administrative leadership to the HSS unit of IHVN.
- He provides technical and programmatic support to necessary state and local government systems to ensure effective and efficient implementation of HIV/AIDS mitigating activities at locations where the Institute of Human Virology Nigeria operates.
- S/he will undertake coordination, advocacy and monitoring roles related to the health system strengthening blocks through strategic engagement with relevant ministries, departments and agencies of government involved in the HIV/AIDS response.
- Senior Program Officer, Health System Strengthening will lead HSS oriented operations/implementation science research and will work with other units and departments within the organization to deliver on specific projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide managerial and technical support to state and local governments and relevant Ministries Departments and Agencies in the work plan development process, capacity building, planning and implementation, monitoring and evaluation activities related to HSS.
- Support interventions to strengthen management and leadership at state and Local Government Authority (LGA) levels; track and aid states to achieve health worker registries.
- Support strategic direction and technical guidance on issues related to leadership and governance, health financing, human resources for health, commodities and logistics, health information and service delivery.
- Work collaboratively with relevant State and LGA officers and management teams in the use of existing structures, information systems and tools (e.g. District Health Information System) for effective planning and performance monitoring.
- Develop implementation science/ operational research studies and outcome evaluations related to HSS activities working with the Applied Health and Quality team.
- Support participation of HSS team in Federal Ministry of Health and donor working groups.
- Represent IHVN at relevant conferences and workshops related to health systems.
- Experience in a similar capacity in a similar organization is an advantage
- BSc and/or Master Degree in the relevant discipline (Health System Management, Health Policy, Health Administration, Public Health). Medical degree- MD,MBBS, BMChB or advanced degrees in Nursing and Pharmacy
- At least 7 years of experience
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Nigerian Health System and strong inter-personal and public relations skills
- Understanding of project management principles is desired.