Summary/Overview: The Senior Program Officer, MNCH will provide administrative, programmatic and logistical support to Maternal, Newborn and Child Health Unit of the Department of Community Medicine, Institute of Human Virology-Nigeria. S/he is also expected to spend about 60% of working hours on supervisory and advocacy activities.
- Assist in the development and adaptation of guidelines, tools and other relevant materials for use in the national scale up of PMTCT activities in IHVN-supported sites in Nigeria.
- Assist in development of program strategies, work plans and their implementation for effective operations of the hub and spoke model of scale up.
- Ensure smooth operations and coordination of PMTCT activities at the regional and or state offices.
- Forecast and request for PMTCT commodities such as care kits and Mama Packs.
- Co-ordinate, track progress, review results and address PMTCT challenges
- Mentor doctors, nurses, mentor mothers to provide quality care to HIV+ pregnant women.
- Create a sustainable PMTCT team that includes Traditional Birth Attendant to deliver overall quality health care to HIV+ pregnant women.
- Ensure that the facility operates a functional and efficient client flow system.
- Identify barriers to PMTCT and proffer solutions to these challenges.
- Assist and undertake needs assessments of new sites as required.
- Facilitate and coordinate all trainings sessions organized for site health care workers.
- Provide technical assistance to site and community staff through precepting, monitoring and mentoring.
- Facilitate and coordinate the activities of Infant Feeding Counseling activities and training of health care workers at all IHVN supported sites in Nigeria.
- Facilitate effective linkages within thematic groups and overall community linkages.
- Report all activities to the Program Area Lead and the Director, Community Health department.
- Adhere and abide by the ethics and code of conduct of the Institute.