The Senior Sales Engineer is responsible for proposal elaboration for new services, support technical contract negotiations and validations, carrying out technical analysis on potential or existing customer services and contractual committing satellite link performances .
Emphasis is on the integrated teamwork approach by providing technical pre and post sales support activity on dedicated customer accounts within the capture team.
All technical solutions and services provided by SES are generated, validated and implemented through the Sales Engineering team, ensuring highest efficiency, technical excellence and optimized use of the group´s assets
The Sales Engineers provide an elementary role in the sales acquisition and service delivery process ensuring the Sales revenue targets
- Sales Engineering is a team of engineers who act as a primary technical interface with all customers of SES from acquisition throughout their service contract duration.
- The Senior Sales Engineer supports the pre-qualification technical due diligence of new regional sales opportunities and the preparation of technical proposals in response to customer’s service requirements.
- The Senior Sales Engineer offers technical solutions out of the SES portfolio and in depth expertise during customer meetings and contract negotiations.
- The Senior Sales Engineer offers oversight of the assignment of customer services on the satellites and the optimization of satellite resources including the planning activities associated with replacement satellite transitions, service restoration plans and the development of new satellite neighborhoods.
- The Senior Sales Engineer coordinates with customers, SES Engineering and Asset Management groups the implementation of new services and for resolution of operational problems interfaces with the Customer Service Delivery Group in SES Engineering and the Platform Services team to ensure that customer service support meets the expectations.
- The Senior Sales Engineer works autonomously on the capture team customer projects, coordinates activities and proposals with other senior team members but is technically accountable.
- Technical knowledge: Proficiency in satellite transmission analysis and solution engineering. Extended knowledge of satellite design, Broadcasting technologies, VSAT networks, network architecture, access schemes, data networking, engineering software development and radio frequency propagation analysis.
- Negotiation & Communication skills:
Ability to efficiently assist Sales in creating successful technical proposals.
Good presentation techniques and effective sales proposal skills.
Verbal, and written fluency in English (additional language skills are desirable).
Ability to work effectively in structured or virtual teams.
- Ability to work independently in a remote office environment.
- Customer Relation skills:
Build and maintain relationships with customers guides by the capture team leader in order to retain and grow revenues and margins as well as the ability to gain a clear understanding of the customers’ businesses and requirements and be able to offer the customer bespoke advice upon forthcoming product developments or services that could lead to new sales and/or to service optimizations.
- Market intelligence & New technology developments
In this highly competitive market it is necessary to have an ongoing knowledge and understanding of the market and developments in the customer base. Specific trends or shifts in the market need to be monitored, tracked, analyzed and reported to management or other parts of the organization.
- Regional knowledge
With customers and staff located in different regions of the world, it is key to understand the variances within the region and as such the differences in market settings, customers’ expectations & requirements to be able to determine the different necessary strategies.
- Cultural understanding
Without understanding the big cultural differences that exist throughout the region, it is very difficult to succeed in this role. Understanding the differences allows being able to set the correct approach and take the appropriate strategic decisions, associated with running a business that has a diverse customer base.
- University or Bachelor’s degree (e.g FH, TH, IST, BSc, MSc) in engineering, telecommunications or related field;
- Profound knowledge of the Satcom technology, standards and market trends for satellite communications, RF technology and equipment, communication protocols
- Commercial, financial and market background in the satellite communication environment is considered as an asset
- At least 5 years of professional experience in a comparable role
- Fluency in English (any other language being an asset)
- Willingness to integrate into an international environment, team spirit and priority setting is essential
Key performance indicator
- Sales performance
- Quality standards of solutions offered and implemented, Technical Excellence >6sigma
- Sales process lead time
- Yield management
Main interfaces with other departments
- Technical Operations teams (CSD, SAE, Fleet Planning)
- Development team (Asset Management, Fleet Development)
- Legal (Commercial Legal functions)
- Marketing (provision of technical input for marketing material)
- Sales (direct interaction with Sales managers and Directors on customer projects)
- Key user and contributor to the common business IT tools OneSatPlan (OSP) and SES Link Budget Tool (SLBT).
- Participation in SES Sales Engineering customer conferences, both technical and commercial.
- Any other specific assigned projects (ground services eg. uplink services and platform services coordination, third party supplier coordination etc.)