The Keneba field Station has carried out nutrition research in Keneba villages for 50 years. The permanent research station and clinic provides routine antenatal, mother-and-baby clinics, dietary supplementation and general medical clinics. There are a team of local and international scientists and research clinicians all engaged in their own research projects and a team of medical doctors, midwives, nurses, laboratory technicians, field workers, data- entry clerks and administrative staff, all supporting the Keneba research programme and Clinic facility. Data from the clinics, research projects, biobank and demographic surveillance systems are all maintained in a single integrated database system.
The Keneba Field Station is seeking to appoint a Senior Scientific Officer to conduct and manage research activities in the Calcium, Vitamin D and Bone Health (CDBH) group. The CDBH group conducts studies across the life course and aims to identify the role of diet and lifestyle in bone health and the prevention of osteoporosis and rickets. The post-holder will contribute directly to the research and strategy of the group. The focus of research will be determined by the experience of the successful applicant and is likely to include studies of local people that require physiological measures, laboratory assays and data analysis. S/he is also responsible for aspects of the management co-ordination and smooth- running of the work of CDBH at MRC Keneba.
We seek someone with:
- A PhD or equivalent in area relevant to CDBH research.
- A minimum of one year post-doctoral experience.
- At least 4 years research and/or other experience (including PhD) in a relevant area to CDBH.
- Ability to supervise staff, ensuring that high standards are maintained at all times.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Good communication skills including scientific discussion and writing.
- Good inter-personal skills with experience of working with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to work co-operatively in a diverse team.
- Previous work or training in a range of physiological measurements.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct demanding research work in a productive and disciplined manner.
- Willingness to work outside normal working hours.
- Experience in relationships with suppliers and technical support personnel.
The post will be for 3 years in the first instance and is subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
An attractive salary will be paid in MRC’s Grade 2.
This is a local appointment and the salary will be paid in Gambian Dalasi with displacement allowances, furnished accommodation, flights, contribution to school fees for children and other benefits for displacement staff.