Duties and responsibilities
The Senior Social Development Officer will work under the general supervision and guidance of the Manager, Environment and Climate Change (ONEC.3). His/her core duties/responsibilities will include the following:
Mainstreaming of social development concerns:
- Advise country teams engaged in the identification, preparation and appraisal of operations with potential social repercussions to ensure adherence to Bank policies on involuntary resettlement and social safeguards
- Represent the Bank at social safeguards and impact assessment and related cross cutting issues such as gender, safety and climate change conferences.
- Address social development issues in various Bank operations during the identification, preparation, appraisal, and supervision stages.
- Conduct studies, review reports and analysis in line with Bank Group lending programs to RMCs.
- Lead Bank teams on joint missions with other development partners on issues of social impacts and safeguards compliance.
- Prepare Request for Categorization Memorandum (RCM) for project categorization; ESIA/RAP, ESMP and ESMF Summaries before submitting to ORQR.3 and posting on Bank’s website.
- Provide primary support to the Bank’s private sector operations (e.g. industries, services, infrastructure, financial institutions); provide occasional support to public sector operations in the energy, water and sanitation, transport, and Information and Communication Technology, sectors as required.
- Mainstream relevant and cross-cutting environmental and social issues into Bank operations, particularly issues related to gender, the social implications of climate change, and involuntary resettlement.
- Develop recommendations to enhance social benefits and corrective measures to mitigate social risks in Bank operations
- Design and/or ameliorate project components contributing to reducing poverty, addressing vulnerability/ marginalization, and encouraging greater inclusion/ participation.
- Develop recommendations and/ or review analyses carried in mainstreaming gender in Bank operations.