Job Summary / Responsibilities:
The SBCC Advisor will provide direction, communication technical expertise, and oversight of all project SBCC activities for the Nigeria Malaria Project. He/she will assist the National Malaria Elimination Program (NMEP), and, working with the project SBCC and Community Mobilization Officers, collaborate with and build capacity of the Ministry of Health (Federal, State, Local Government (LGA) level) communication personnel and private-sector counterparts to identify, develop, implement, and monitor an array of SBCC approaches to changing and maintaining behaviors in the area of malaria prevention and treatment. Working with the Research and M&E Advisor, improve on NMEP’s and partner’s ability to measure and monitor SBCC; Support malaria advocacy, communication, and social mobilization at Federal, State and LGA levels and play a leadership role in integrating SBCC activities in other health programs.
- Meet regularly with representatives of the NMEP, USAID, partners, and other stakeholders to integrate feedback including Federal, State and LGA strategic plans into key campaign messages, including correct and consistent LLIN use and maintenance; comprehension and use of ACTs; and increased use of ANC services.
- Working with the SBCC and Community Mobilization Officers, develop SBCC messages to improve at risk population’s awareness of the risk of malaria during pregnancy and promote the use of IPTp during various phases of pregnancy.
- Conduct strategic behaviour communications needs assessments and design, pre-test, and finalize drafts of SBCC/media materials in conjunction with NMEP and relevant partners
- Implement and monitor IEC/SBCC activities at the health facility and community level to ensure maximum local impact and education.
- Collaborate closely with the M&E Advisor to ensure the documentation of SBCC effects on target audiences by designing all messages to track specific, measurable behaviors.
- Identify complementary activities and align plans with the National Malaria Advocacy, Communication and Social Mobilization (ACSM) guidelines as well as with plans of other malaria projects.
- Monitor and report on all Nigeria Malaria Project SBCC activities.
- Respond to the specified deliverables and goals of contracts and grant agreements, ensuring achievements in a timely manner and in full support and compliance with FHI360 contractual agreement.
- Work with the Malaria Technical Director, collaborate and build capacity of Ministry of Health and private-sector counterparts to develop, implement, and monitor SBCC messaging and implementation.
- Contribute to work plans, budgets, pipelines, technical reports, and deliverables.
- Perform other duties as directed by the supervisor.
- Complete detailed strategy write-ups, work plans, and deliver quarterly reports and all other reporting requirements.
- Oversees the work of consultants and subcontractors, as required.