Background: The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the position of Soybean Agronomist.
Position / Responsibilities
The tasks of the Soybean Agronomist will include:
- Set-up a soybean research and delivery platform with a coalition of partners and key actors including Agricultural Research Institutes and the State Agricultural and Rural Development Programs, farmers organisations, input and output dealers, related projects, NGOs and policy makers.
- Organize inception meetings and workshops to plan, review and implement agreed activities with some programs organized by the IITA Youth Agripreneurs specifically for youth.
- Train technicians and extension agents in the management of soybean technology evaluations and data collection.
- Monitor project implementation and progress over time.
- Use decision support tools to predict the performance of soybean varieties in a range of agro-ecologies in Nigeria.
- Establish large-scale demonstration plots to show-case and promote high yielding soybean varieties.
- Conduct farmer field days to increase awareness of improved high yielding soybean varieties and other relevant technologies with some programs organized by the IITA Youth Agripreneurs specifically for youth.
- Develop and disseminate mobile messages and radio micro-programs on improved high yielding soybean varieties and other relevant technologies.
- Produce a toolkit for farmers on good agronomic practices to be distributed via agro-dealers.
- Produce breeder and foundation seeds of soybean for distribution to seed companies and community-based seed producers.
- Establish community-based seed schemes for the production and marketing of seeds for improved soybean varieties with some programs organized by the IITA Youth Agripreneurs specifically for youth.
- Link community-based seed producers to seed companies for the production and marketing of improved soybean varieties.
- Perform any other responsibilities that may be assigned by the supervisor.
The candidate should have an MSC in Plant Breeding, Agronomy, Pathology and any related field.
- Strong knowledge of plant health.
- Minimum of 10 years relevant working experience with legumes.
- Good skills in MS Office and general knowledge of computers.
- Ability to follow instructions and work independently where necessary.
- Good organizational skills and demonstrated ability to work under pressure.
- Be available to work outside office hours and for extended hours where necessary.