Please exercise due diligence when applying for this job vacancy.
Special education teachers
what they do:
Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, but for people whose challenges interfere with their ability to learn, special education teachers can make all the difference. A special education teacher works one-on-one or in a group setting with people who have mental, emotional, physical or developmental disabilities.
When working with a student who has mild or moderate disabilities, a special education teacher adapts strategies to suit the student’s needs. For people with more severe challenges, a special education teacher focuses on basic literacy, communication, math and living skills.
Some people who choose a special education teaching career specialize in a certain disability, such as deafness, blindness or a developmental disability, such as Down syndrome.
Special education teachers job duties:
- Working with other teachers or administrators to revise classroom programs for special needs students
- Conferring with parents, guardians and educational professionals to develop an individual education plan (IEP) for a student
- Assessing students’ abilities through standardized achievement tests
- Coordinating placement when students are able to join traditional classrooms
- Devising, with other staff members, a teaching plan and lesson schedule which promotes learning within the approved curriculum
- Using special education techniques in the classroom to improve the development of students’ motor skills, language, thinking or memory
- Working to meet a variety of needs present in a single classroom.
- Encouraging students to persevere with challenging work so they’re prepared for higher grades
Bachelor’s degree and a certificate or license.
Lagos residents only.
Special education teachers programs cover subjects such as:
- Instructional methods
- Inclusion and collaboration
- Assessment for learning
- Field work and practicum
- Literacy, language arts and social studies
- Developmentally appropriate strategies for literacy
- Curriculum and planning for diverse learners
- Behavior management
Interested applicant should forward their CV to firstname.lastname@example.org using JOB TITLE as mail subject.