The Northern Nigeria Education Initiative Plus (NEI+) project works to improve the quality of and access to education in Northern Nigeria equitably and sustainably. The Team Leader (Sokoto) will be responsible for overseeing strategic and day-to-day implementation of Sokoto activities. The Team Leader will provide supervision and guidance to the technical advisors and support services personnel. He/she will work closely with the Project Director to ensure Sokoto implementation is closely aligned with the overall project. This position is based in Sokoto, Nigeria, and will report to the NEI+ Chief of Party.
- Provides technical leadership in the implementation of education programming, managing critical program components and service delivery, and coordinating the work of the technical team
- Supports the development of implementation strategies and work plans, and coordinates the day-to-day management of technical staff and program implementation
- Provides leadership and oversight of the core program functions (program design, documentation, approvals, and close-out)
- Ensures that planned program activities are included in work plans, within budget and are properly documented
- Ensures that the technical advisors provide information for weekly, quarterly and annual program updates and reports
- Ensures close cooperation and coordination between programs and procurement, HR, finance and administration units
- Promotes a team approach and a learning culture across all operational support services to prioritize and ensure responsive, quality support to delivery of programs
- Ensures the consistent implementation of the project with adherence to donor policies and procedures across all operational support services
- Provides on-going problem-solving guidance for program staff on issues related to operational functions
- Interacts productively and collegially with program partners and stakeholders
- Represents the project in meetings and events
- Serves as an active member of the project’s Senior Management Team
Skills and Experience
Candidates for this position must have at least 5 years of management experience, preferably with a USAID-funded education project. Candidates must demonstrate management ability with capacity to think strategically, prioritize and meet deadlines in a complex and challenging environment. The position requires strong diplomacy skills; ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with partners, donors and other stakeholders in a sensitive environment. Candidates must be fluent in Hausa and English.
The candidate must have a Bachelor’s Degree in the social sciences or related field. Master’s degree highly preferred.