The purpose of this job is to lead and provide technical support activity within the logistics, and ITO (International Trade Operations) work process for Dow, primarily across Eastern Africa. The role may be expanded to include responsibility for other parts of Africa. The incumbent will report into and will work with the regional EMEA (Europe, Middle East & Africa) Supply Chain Operations team to ensure international trade operations, logistic supply and demand meets with business and customer requirements. Activity is both strategic and tactical in nature - 1 to 12 month time horizon, but can require operational support as well. Involvement in projects that have a longer horizon is possible.
- Applies logistics system knowledge as required by the functional role
- Resolve operational logistics issues and conflicts and escalate as appropriate
- Track and monitor delivery performance (all modes of transport) in meeting customer needs
- Develop network of alternatives (routes, service providers, ports) to provide to our businesses and customers as alternatives for deliveries to our customers in respective countries
- Own and facilitate the Supply Chain Operations Material Flow Work Process implementation in the region
- Represent Dow towards authorities on following topics (Advocacy): Logistics infrastructure, customs, regulations, safety and security
- Support administrative activities in Dow's ERP systems
- Tracking of customer orders and delivery schedules
- Coordinate logistics activities between company, customs, transporter, warehouse and terminals
- Support supply chain operations initiatives through data analysis and implementation of action plans
- Develop and implement the logistics work process an systems for the respective countries in the area
- Participates and leads logistics related projects as determined by supply chain leader
- Participates in implementation of business or functional initiatives that interface with logistics work processes
- Develop and implement Service Provider Management process in respective countries
- Ensure regulatory compliance for customs processes
- Active research on duty saving opportunities, application for respective licenses and implementation of respective customs tools and processes
- Guide, train and consult supply chain partners regarding customs requirements and trade compliance
- Obtain necessary import, export or re-export licenses when required
- Manage relationship with regional customs authorities, customs agents/service providers
- Measure the performance of third parties (freight forwarders, carriers, surveyors, etc.) involved in the supply of import/export documentation for accuracy and timeliness and implement corrective actions where appropriate.
- Stay up-to-date on new developments, follow up on changes, in the customs world, analyze implications for Dow, define required action/next steps and take necessary action to bring Dow in line with new requirements.
- Identify assess and optimize the material and information flow across customer supply chains at a tactical or strategic level (inventory, logistics, productivity. Import/Export processes and customer focus).
- Participate in identification of customer supply chain projects in consultation with the businesses.
- Actively engage in projects and meetings and represent the ITO organization as the documentation specialist for the respective region
- Act as a regional knowledge contact for ITO (international Trade Operations) and related logistics activities.
- Work experience: at least 2-3 years work experience in relevant Logistics and international trade environment
- The critical competencies required for success are Interpersonal Effectiveness, Initiative, Team work and Supply Chain operations
- Technical proficiency in the use of multiple computer applications and sound analytical skills are necessary
- Problem solving skills
- Identifies and pursues improvement opportunities within supply chain operations
- Affinity with Customs and trade compliance processes
- Learns and follows policies and procedures relating to safety, security, government regulations, and Responsible Care
- Incorporates EH&S policies and procedures into problem solving and decision making, within department, project, team or third party activities
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree or equivalent. Qualification preferably in Logistics, Supply chain, International Trade, Business studies, Science, Engineering or related field or
- Significant experience in the Logistics/Supply Chain industry in a similar role would be preferable
- Fluency in English is compulsory