Report to: Chief Medical Director
Specializations: Surgery Consultant.
- The medical doctor examines, diagnoses, and treats patients. Medical doctors will diagnose patient’s conditions using examinations and tests.
- Based on their findings, they prescribe treatment and medications to attempt to heal any illnesses or injuries.
- At all times provide a caring service and to treat those with whom they come into contact in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Demonstrate their commitment by their regular attendance, punctuality and the efficient completion of all tasks assigned.
- Carry out their duties and responsibilities in compliance with the Health and Safety Policies and Statutory Regulations
- Ensure the ongoing confidence of the public in-service provision.
- Maintain high standards of personal accountability.
- In order to meet the on-call requirements of the post, the appointee is required to reside within a reasonable distance to their principal place of work.
- The successful postholder will also participate in the routine and emergency General Surgery workload of the Imo International Health Systems.
- The Consultant will be responsible for the Surgery patients.
- Teaching and supervision of trainee surgeons and general practitioners
- Adhere to the Standard Duties and Responsibilities, Participate in the provision and administration of the department services for patients
- Hold a leadership role in shaping policy in the Hospital with regard to the management of department services, in line with best practice and international accreditation standards.
- Be easily accessible to clinical staff in person or by phone during normal working hours to advice on the treatment and management of patients.
- To participate in development of and undertake all duties and functions pertinent to the Consultant’s area of competence and in line with policies as specified by the Employer.
- Demonstrate a high level of verbal and non-verbal communication skills in order to effectively communicate with patients/service users, families, colleagues, managers, other health service staff and stakeholders from other organization
- Prime responsibility is for patient care, best diagnosis and team leadership. The successful applicant will also be involved in clinical governance, education and training.
- To provide a consultation service and advisory service to other clinical colleagues in other specialties within Imo International Health Systems
- To participate in the development of the surgical and critical care management protocols and guidelines
- To develop and maintain collaborative relationships with medical and non-medical colleagues in other specialties and participate in regular meetings
- To be accountable for the continuous care of patients and, as part of this responsibility, ensuring appropriate standards of care for patients and standards of training for other staff at all times.
- The post-holder will promote and develop multidisciplinary teamwork within the specialty and will communicate effectively with all agencies and personnel involved in providing services.
- The post-holder will be responsible for providing procedures relating to the specialty and will develop it in keeping with medical advances.
- The post-holder will be expected to undertake administrative duties associated with patient care
- The post-holder, will assist with the development and implementation of systems under clinical and social care governance that ensure the quality of the surgical service offered by IIHS
- The surgery consultant will participates in clinical audit activities and applies the results to improve the service.
- Undertaking patient consultations and physical examinations
- Organizing workloads
- Providing general pre and post-operative care
- Monitoring and ensure administering of medication
- Assessing and planning treatment requirements liaising daily with staff including other doctors, non-medical management staff and healthcare professionals
- Writing reports and maintaining records promoting health education
- Referring patients to specialists and consultants in hospital departments.
- Diagnosing any ailments
- Prescribing medications
- Must have MBBS
- The individual must possess certificates of full registration with the Nigerian Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria.
- Must be a fellow and a practicing surgery consultant.
- The individual must be computer literate
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work long, flexible and on-call hours, often under pressure
- Good practical skills
- Ability to solve problems
- Effective decision-making skills
- Leadership skills
- Communication skills, compassion and a good bedside manner
- Drive to continue learning throughout career.