Purpose of the Position
Under the general guidance of Chief C4D - Polio, and in close coordination with the Communication for Development Specialist, responsible for the design, formulation, management, execution, monitoring and evaluation of a behavioural change and social mobilization strategy, plan of action and programme activities in support of the country programme.
Key Expected Results
1.) Design Communications Strategy:
- Communication for Development strategy and plan of action strategically developed and formulated, and the implementation effectively managed, facilitated and executed for social and behavioural change in support of efficient and effective programme delivery.
- Culturally relevant programme communication materials designed, pre-tested, and produced timely, meeting requirements and quality standards.
- Strong partnerships with community groups, leaders and other partners in the community and civil society developed and enhanced for promotion of participation in social and behavioural changes supportive of programme goals.
- Effective training materials and activities organized, developed and implemented to build capacity in participatory and behaviour communication at various government levels.
- Technical support effectively provided with government counterparts in the development and effective use of communication for social development.
- Monitoring and evaluation of programme activities and preparation of reports timely and properly undertaken. Findings, experiences, lessons learned, best practices and new methods effectively shared with government officials, programme staff, and other partners.
- Budget properly planned, monitored and controlled, ensuring allocated funds optimally appropriated.
- In collaboration with UNICEF management and decision makers and planners of government, donor organizations and the private sector, the Communication for Development Specialist designs, manages and facilitates the implementation of communication policy, strategy and plans of action aiming at general public and service providers through: (a) behaviour development/change at individual/household levels; (b) social mobilization of civil society organizations; and (c) increased community participation in development programmes for positive social change.
- Makes viable recommendations on operational strategies in the areas of participatory communication, social mobilization and behaviour change and on appropriate materials and media to reach target audiences.
2.) Programme communication materials:
- Organizes the research, development, pre-testing, and production of culturally relevant communication materials.
- Supports the UNICEF global communications objectives and strategies through development of complementary country specific and local community materials.
- Ensures the quality, consistency and appropriateness of communication materials that are developed, produced, and disseminated to local communities, government officials, other partners and the press.
3.) Partnerships for social mobilization:
- Develops and enhances strong partnerships with community groups, leaders and other partners in the community and civil society for promotion of participation in social and behavioural changes supportive of programme goals.
- Develops partnerships with various religious groups, traditional leaders, teachers, artists and other organized groups in the community, as well as civil society organizations, to orient them on country programme goals and to solicit their involvement in the implementation of the country programme.
- Promotes a better understanding of children's and women's issues by assisting in or managing a country level behaviour change and social mobilization strategy supportive of effective and efficient programme delivery.
- Promotes and influences behaviour development/change at individual/ household levels, social mobilization of civil society organizations and increased community participation in development programmes.
4.) Capacity building support:
- Develops training materials and activities to build capacity for participatory and behaviour change communication.
- Develops training materials and activities to build capacity in participatory and behaviour change communication for personnel who are involved in the planning, implementation and evaluation of programme communication intervention, in support of programme sustainability.
5.) Coordination and collaboration with government and partners:
- Provides effective coordination and technical support to government counterparts and other partners in the development and strategic use of communication for social development.
- Coordinates with government counterparts in the development and appropriate use of communication for social development aimed at both individual behaviour change and collective action. Provide technical support as required.
- Collaborates with government officials, community leaders, UN, and bilateral agencies and NGOs in the organization of activities, operational research, advocacy and exchange of information and ideas supportive of programme communication goals and strategies.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced University Degree in the Social/Behavioural Sciences, (Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Health Education) with emphasis on strategic communication planning for behaviour development, social mobilization, participatory communication, and research.
- Minimum five years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the development, planning and management of social development programmes, including several years in developing countries, with practical experience in the adaptation and application of communication planning processes to specific programmes.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of an additional UN Language is considered an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
i) Core Values:
- Diversity and inclusion
ii) Core competencies:
- Working with people
- Drive for results
iii) Functional Competencies:
- Leading and Supervising
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts
- Relating and Networking
- Deciding and Initiating Action
- Applying Technical Expertise
iv) Skills and Attributes:
- Knowledge of computer management and applications.
- Ability to work in an international and multicultural environment.
- Good analytical and communication skills.