Job ID: 2016-2627
Position Reports to: TBD
Position Supervised: TBD
- The Technical Advisor, PMTCT/Prevention will provide technical oversight in the area of PMTCT for a CDC-funded HIV prevention, care and treatment (comprehensive services) project in Nigeria. It is anticipated that the position will be based in Abuja.
- S/he will work to enhance national coordination and collaboration for prevention service delivery expansion, strengthening the specific systems that improve availability and access to PMTCT services.
- Responsibilities will include providing leadership and technical guidance in the development and implementation of PMTCT activities, including the integration of PMTCT and MNCH services.
- This position will ensure the technical and methodological soundness of activities based on current scientific evidence. This position is contingent upon award. Nigerian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Provide mentoring and capacity building assistance at the individual and organizational level in specific areas of expertise including but not limited to:
- Improving continuity of care and follow-up for HIV-positive mothers;
- Ensuring the quality of rapid HIV counseling and testing, including provider initiated testing and counseling in priority district health services:
- Strengthening the relationships between the community and the health facilities to enable adherence, as well as integrating couples counseling:
- Oversee the engagement of communities as the entry point to ANC and PMTCT services; and
- Interventions for co-occurring diseases impacting HIV-infected patients including TB.
- Develop new/review evidence-based clinical training materials, job aids, and curricula, supervisory systems and other training materials needed for implementation of PMTCT activities to meet the needs of the Government of Nigeria
- Reinforce the peer review process, including sharing lessons learned and best practices adopted, to continually bridge performance gaps
- Provide training of trainers, in-service and pre-service education, follow-up and supportive supervision to health workers, and/or CBOs
- Actively participate in relevant Technical Advisory Group Meetings, and represent Jhpiego in professional forums by participating and presenting in pertinent meetings and conferences
- Analyze potential PMTCT, MNCH and HIV strategies within the context of the program and explain these, as necessary, to policymakers, funding agencies, and/or program staff
- Formulate and test sustainable solutions to training and service delivery gaps, utilizing cross-cutting approaches such as performance and quality improvement
- Provide regular feedback to the Technical Director and program and technical staff, on successes, challenges and lessons learned in implementation related to areas of technical expertise
- Document and maintain an inventory of successful tools and approaches for quality improvement
- Author and co-author abstracts and presentations for journals and conference
- Assist in the preparation of donor reports and project reports
- A clinical degree (medicine, nursing, pharmacy, laboratory technology or other) required; specialty training in medicine, infectious diseases, or other relevant advanced clinical degree preferred
- At least 8 years’ experience in implementing HIV treatment, care and support programs including PMTCT and TB/HIV
- Experience training health workers and/or CBOs in comprehensive HIV and TB care
- Experience building capacity at individual and organizational levels
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop technical capacity in national programs and technical staff in the areas
- Experience with a mix of practical technical skills in HIV and TB care
- The ability to liaise with senior MOH officials, NGOs, FBOs, CBOs, the for-profit business community, and donors
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of Nigeria healthcare system
- Familiarity with CDC and PEPFAR administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems
- Strong oral and written communication and presentations skills in English;
- Computer literacy including strong skills in word processing and Excel;
- Ability to travel unrestricted within Nigeria and internationally
- Nigerian nationals are encouraged to apply.