- The Technical Officer (HSS & Logistics) will assist the Senior Technical officer Logistics in the development of FHI 360 in-house capacity among the various departments, implementing agencies (IAs) and all tiers of government in all aspects of logistics and supply chain management of health commodities.
- He/She will provide technical support and leadership to Nigeria’s efforts to strengthen the procurement and supply chain management system of health commodities using evidence based data from the Logistics management information system, to reduce stock-outs, lower costs and eliminate wastage
Job Summary / Responsibilities
- Provide TA and capacity building to all tiers of the government of Nigeria and to FHI 360 to strengthen national systems for procurement and supply chain management of health commodities
- Provide Logistics support to State offices focusing on reporting, distribution, shipping, storage and warehousing of commodities
- To provide technical coordination in product selection, quality assurance, receipt of commodities and efficient storage and distribution systems.
- Work with the STO Logistics to direct outgoing or incoming health commodities distribution activities of FHI 360; ensure health commodities or supplies are shipped, distributed, or received in an efficient manner and ensure that all required inventory checks are conducted and all variances reconciled.
- Work with the STO in developing, maintaining and improving a logistics management information system and an electronic inventory control system of stocking and tracking commodities
- Support the STO in the development of warehousing and distribution budgets Conduct periodic visits to facility warehouses to follow-up on all warehouse related matters such as the environment, sterilization, refrigeration etc. and generate reports to management and other stakeholders.
- Monitor safety standards in accordance with regulations; ensure safety code and quality compliance are met daily and report any issues arising to the STO
- Work with the STO in designing coordinated systems for FHI 360 to transport health commodities report and forecast delivery times, transport costs and performance in order to reduce stock-outs, eliminate wastes and lower costs.
- Ensure that all distribution documentation for health commodities in FHI 360, with funding agencies, suppliers, implementing partners and regulatory bodies is complete and compliant.
- Ensure FHI 360’s compliance with legal guidelines, Nigerian, US and any other funder’s export and import controls, contracting principles, sourcing and price/cost analysis requirements and report all actual or potential variance to the STO.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- MPH or MS/MA in relevant degree with at least 3- 5 years post national youth service experience with at least 1 year experience in managing a PSM cycle, including rational health commodities selection, forecasting/quantification, quality assurance spanning the PSM cycle, warehousing/storage, distribution, and LMIS.
- Or B Pharm, BS/BA in Logistics, Pharmacy, Microbiology, Biochemistry, or any relevant field with 5 to 7 years post national youth service experience managing a PSM cycle, including rational health commodities selection, forecasting /quantification, quality assurance spanning the PSM cycle, warehousing/storage, distribution, and LMIS.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health system and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable.
- Considerable knowledge of health and development programs in developing countries in general and Nigeria specifically.
- Sound knowledge of inventory control systems.
- Experience must include managing health commodity logistics information systems, including forecasting/quantification of Laboratory Commodities.
- Familiarity with developing PSM indicators and issues surrounding monitoring and evaluation of the PSM.
- Knowledge of M supply, Quantimed and Pipeline a plus
- Familiarity with technical and health management approaches relevant to the work of the National AIDS & STI Control, National TB Control Programs, National Malaria Control Program and RH especially at the state, LGA and community levels.
- Knowledge of the key principles and approaches to health systems strengthening.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding HIV programs.
- Ability to evaluate relevance of data or information, as well as work with staff to resolve differences in interpretation of information.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines, with minimal supervision and under pressure of tight deadlines.
- Sound knowledge and experience regarding Laboratory Logistics, M&E, statistics and quality assurance/quality improvement, and their specificities for developing countries.
- Ability to represent FHI 360/Nigeria to donors, government officials and the NGO community.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English communication, including presentation and training skills.
- Well-developed computer skills.
- Ability to travel within Nigeria 25% time