The primary responsibility of the Technical Sales Engineer is to assist the distribution channel in bringing the newest Trimble Survey branded technologies to market. By coupling his/her solid understanding of the technology and the application of the technology to the surveying domain, the Technical Sales Engineer is able to “make Trimble products sing” and influence the distribution channel to invest and engage in selling these products.
Reporting to a Regional Sales Manager and as part of a regional sales team, the Technical Sales Engineer executes the divisional “go to market” strategy for new technologies within a defined region by providing training to distribution sales and technical support staff and supporting demonstrations to end-users. The Technical Sales Engineer represents the highest level of technical knowledge available in the sales organization. His/her mission is to show the Distributor and the end user how the newest technologies can be applied to solve real world surveying challenges and needs.
The Technical Sales Engineer will report to the Regional Sales Manager, and will work and interact in a regional team of Sales Account Managers. Typically he/she will support 4 to 10 distribution partners. While the total net revenue from the distributors in the assigned region may range from €6M to €15M, the Technical Sales Engineer will focus on the newest products representing approximately 10% to 20% of the business (€1M to €3M in net revenue to the division).
First and foremost, the Technical Sales Engineer supports the regional team to facilitate the sales of new technology products within the region, and to achieve quarterly revenue targets for that region.
Longer term activities are built around execution of a defined “go to market strategy” as defined by Trimble divisional management and the Sales Marketing Manager. This includes, but is not limited to distributor training, end user demonstrations (typically with distributor involvement and support), and participation in local events such as trade shows, road shows, and user group meetings.
- Assist in achievement of overall revenue targets for the regional team.
- Promote Trimble product sales to include:
- Assistance in key customer demonstrations and presentations
- Participation and assistance in trade shows, road shows and user group events
- Develop distributors / dealer sales and technical support personnel competency to demonstrate, sell and support new technology products. This includes:
- Providing structured and informal training on products, technology and application of technology.
- Assistance in preparation of tender documents and specifications
- Recommendations as needed on product configurations, part numbers, and options as required to suit customer needs and applications.
- Maintain up-to-date skills and knowledge on the latest Trimble technology; proactively seek out training to ensure “early adopter” knowledge.
- Be current on competitor manufacturer product offerings (features, benefits and customer interest in these products) in the region, report information internally together with recommendations as required.
- Respond to escalated technical issues from distributors about key or priority customers to ensure sales closure.
- Complete monthly activity reports in accordance with defined template and quality expectations.
Key Organizational Interfaces
· The primary interfaces outside of Trimble are distributor sales people and customer end users.
· The primary interfaces within Trimble are the Sales Marketing Manager, Technical Marketing Analyst, Regional Sales Manager and the Sales Account Managers in his/her regional team.
Characteristics / Skills
· High level technical expertise with the latest Survey products and solutions and related surveying applications.
· Problem-solving ability
· Ability to work autonomously and follow-through with plans.
· Ability and motivation to quickly learn and integrate new technologies help bring them to market.
· Strong presentation skills (for both sales & training)
· Strong interpersonal skills
Education / Experience
· 4 year college degree in Geomatics, surveying, engineering, or a degree in business with a demonstrated ability to learn and apply technology. A Surveying or Engineering professional license can be substituted in lieu of a 4 year degree.
· 5 years experience in surveying applications and/or in surveying instrument industry (Survey distributor and/or manufacturer).
Applicant must live in a location that is conducive to travel and support within the defined territory. Applicant will be expected to travel ~75% of the time.