The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified State Program Coordinator / Technical Specialist 9 to support the International Health Division.
The 5-year USAID-funded Health Finance and Governance project (HFG) provides technical assistance in health systems strengthening around the world. The project addresses the financing, governance, operational, and capacity-building constraints that block access to and use of priority population, health, and nutrition services by people in developing countries. USAID’s Health Finance and Governance (HFG) project is supporting state level efforts to increase the mobilization of domestic resources (RM) for HIV/AIDS programs, particularly with respect to the public sector contribution. Focal states are USAID PEPFAR priority states: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom and Cross River. HFG’s work in this area to date has identified the processes that relate to budget allocation, budget release and financial reporting of HIV/AIDS financial resources that do not function as they should at the state level. In addition, gaps in resource tracking and advocacy
HFG seeks to hire a State Program Coordinator/Technical Specialist to coordinate HFG’s activities on resource mobilization (RM) across the four states. The areas of work include public financial management (PFM), resource tracking and advocacy. HFG will support the implementation of state resource mobilization plans, and the coordinator will track progress and intervene where necessary to facilitate and maintain progress against plans. It is anticipated that the person identified for this role will also be able to provide technical support in the area of PFM to the relevant ministries, departments and agency (MDA) staff responsible for budgeting, financial processes and reporting.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Coordination of HFG activities in the state (liaising with HIV team in Abuja and Bethesda)
- Responsible for engaging, coordinating and communicating with stakeholders and partners working in RM
- Identifying Ministry of Economic Planning (MEPB) PFM processes, identifying gaps and the strategy for addressing them
- Leading/supporting PFM strengthening for MDAs and all HIV/AIDS resource mobilization efforts
- Conduct a political mapping to identify stakeholders and that can promote budget increase for HIV/AIDS in the new administration
- Identify and document bottlenecks preventing budget release in the MDAs and line ministries
- Relating with and monitor budget officers in the MDAs to facilitate timely budget release to the MDAs and the line ministries
- Support SACAs RM advocacy to ensure it is timely and appropriate towards various MDAs
- Support MEPB and State Ministry of Finance to ensure resource tracking cycle are completed
- Responsible for relevant gathering data from all stakeholders that will feed into the RMS
- Support the implementation of the state’s resource mobilization operational plan
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- The candidate will be located in one of the PEPFAR priority states (Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom and Cross River)
- First Degree (minimum), or Master’s Degree (preferred) in Social Sciences, or Biomedical sciences (preferred)
- Graduate/certificate level training in financial management/economics/accounting desirable.
- 5+ years of progressive professional experience in in public sector management or health sector with government or non-governmental institutions. HIV program management desirable.
- Proven accuracy in managing information and other organizational data.
- Demonstrated project management and leadership capabilities and the ability to lead multidisciplinary and multicultural teams;
- Demonstrated ability to ensure that individuals and teams adhere to the highest standards of quality, relevance and timeliness;
- Knowledge about US Government development assistance policy and USAID operational procedures is desirable;
- High level of computer proficiency and demonstrated good oral and written communication skills.