Context of the role:
Private Equity is a global sector for EY, generating revenues in excess of $1.5bn. Our strategy is to help clients throughout the transaction life cycle - from initial deal idea, through the acquisition process, during the period of ownership and growth and then to the eventual exit of the business. This strategy is underpinned by our enterprise approach which involves treating the fund and its investees as a group and delivering a consistent quality service across that group globally. We have a number of key strategic accounts that drive our core business and managing their growth is a key priority.
The primary role of a Business Development Director (BDD) is to drive results for the client, the account team and EY. Focusing on our highest priority Private Equity (PE) accounts, the BDD conducts rigorous account planning & management and works with a global account team to drive anchor relationships across the client's organization to ensure client satisfaction. This includes leveraging the Firm's key initiatives and cross-functional services for new business opportunities within the account and frequent face to face meetings with client representatives and account team members around the world. In conjunction with the Global Client Service Partner (CSP) and Global Account Team, the BDD will be accountable for meeting established global revenue targets and results. The ideal candidate will have a successful track record of developing a broad range of relationships at all levels, including the C-suite equivalent, of complex global accounts - and experience in selling professional services.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Client facing activities (80%)
• Identify revenue opportunities across the fund and the portfolio for target accounts
• Develop and implement account strategies that take into consideration all service lines.
• Secure and lead sales calls with key PE decision makers.
• Identify, qualify, pursue and negotiate / resolve concerns to close sales.
• Lead the pursuit process of major PE opportunities working closely with key partners.
• Take the lead on initiating and developing new relationships at target clients.
Internal activities (20%)
• Work with the CSP and Account Team to develop and execute the sales strategy.
• Sales manage all major opportunities.
• Other internal activities as needed to enable client facing activities and account strategy
a. Client relationships
b. Coach others in the business
b. 360º Feedback
a. Assurance of Service Quality (ASQ) across fund and portfolio
a. Sub-area revenue on assigned book of business
b. Global revenue on assigned book of business
c. Profitability on assigned book of business
d. Cross Service line penetration growth on assigned book of business
- Demonstrated results in sales and sales management within a strategic solutions/advisory sales environment
- Proven ability to lead teams brought together around an account opportunity
- Demonstrated skill in building opportunities through long term relationship development
- A keen commercial curiosity in how businesses grow and develop , and insights into business drivers and the overall business environment
- A good understanding of transactions and how they work
Knowledge and previous experience within the PE Sector and/or professional services is desirable but not essential.
Commercially astute / business savvy:
• Will make significant contributions to sales strategy and have well developed financial skills.
• Possess a high degree of professionalism.
• Will have credibility and business insight that can be demonstrated to partners.
Excellent interpersonal, presentation and selling skills:
• Excellent relationship builder and able to utilise relationships to uncover and develop opportunities.
• Very perceptive, able to read people and with the ability to communicate messages effectively.
• Ability and experience in facilitating sales sessions and coaching teams.
• Genuine account management capabilities
• Proven results in long term, strategic, solution sales
Ability to quickly understand complex products and broad service offerings:
• Ability to sell solutions in many and varied business scenarios.
• Project management skills with an opportunistic mindset.
• Capability to comprehend Ernst & Young's solutions in Audit / Advisory / Tax / Transactions and translate these to client value and benefits.
Solid business-to-business selling experience and capability:
• Managing complex sales process and long sales cycles.
• Team based sales - will have worked with specialist to co-develop client needs.
• Exposure to major pursuit process (eg Target Account Selling).
• Able to demonstrate a consistent track record of achieving sales targets.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent. Advanced degree desirable, but not required