Job Code: 08/16 LOS
Section: British Deputy High Commission
Grade : C4 (L)
Position type: Full time/Permanent
- The UK Science and Innovation Network (SIN) is the British Government’s organisation for international science diplomacy. It is jointly funded by the UK’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS). SIN has 80+ staff based in 40 different locations in 28 countries and territories worldwide.
- As a result of a recent restructuring of the network, the British High Commission Abuja is recruiting a Science & Innovation Officer to be based at the British Deputy High Commission Lagos. The role will provide the opportunity for leadership, relationship building both within and outside the mission, strategic thinking and project management.
- The officer will be part of the UK’s Africa Science and Innovation Network, which from January 2016 will have its main hub at the British High Commission in Pretoria.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsibility for developing bilateral science and innovation collaboration between the UK and Nigeria, with a regional watching brief over West Africa.
- Promoting collaboration and inform UK policy development in science and innovation.
In practical terms this will include:
- Leading on UK Government science and innovation strategy, briefing and reporting for Nigeria.
- Managing the UK relationship with key Nigerian research, innovation and funding bodies;
- Providing support to senior UK Government staff and the UK research base regarding the Nigerian/West African science and innovation environment; supporting VIP visits;
- Acting as the first point of contact for UK Government lobbying on research, scientific and technology policy issues, and working closely with BHC Abuja staff to deliver messages to the Nigerian government;
- Working closely with prosperity staff in other HMG offices in West Africa, to explore and develop international research collaboration opportunities for UK scientists within the region;
- Developing high quality and sustainable UK/Nigeria science and innovation partnerships that focus on UK and Nigerian priorities; Identifying opportunities and developing and managing bilateral projects (these might be regional in nature) in order to increase collaboration opportunities for the UK science base;
- Working with UK partners - FCO, UK Trade and Industry (UKTI), DFID, British Council and others to deliver wider UK prosperity objectives, including higher education linkages. Working with UKTI to identify and match opportunities to UK firms.
- Developing and maintaining a network of senior level contacts across the UK and Nigeria re-search landscape.
- The ability to demonstrate contact and stakeholder management skill
- The ability to deliver results under pressure
- The ability to work quickly and reliably with attention to detail and with limited supervision;
- The ability to initiate and maintain a wide range of working relationships;
- Good presentation, interpersonal and representational skills;
- Strong organisational skills;
- Project management experience is desirable;
- A scientific background and experience of the Nigerian landscape is desirable;
- Strong IT computer skills using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Office and Internet.
Key Competences Required
- The British government recruits staff by assessing them against a selection of common competencies. As part of the assessment process, candidates will be expected to demonstrate their ability to deliver these competencies, reinforcing this with practical examples. The competencies against which candidates for this position will be assessed are:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Leading & Communicating
- Making Effective Decisions
- Collaborating & Partnering
- Delivering at Pace