- Supervise and co-ordinate all the pastoral affairs of the school and ensure a high level of excellence as regards the school’s pastoral activities on a daily basis.
- Supervise the pastoral schedules of duties of the Housemasters /Mistress and the Guidance counselor as it relates to pastoral matters.
- Ensure the compliance of learners and academic staff to rules and regulations pertaining to curricular and co-curricular activities.
- Liaise with the Vice Principal (Admin/Academic.) where appropriate.
- Implementation of Standards and Norms of British and Nigerian Curricula.
- Facilitate student scholastic achievement by teaching and modeling appropriate study skills, and assessing students' school grades and performance and implementing additional learning support when necessary
- Responsible for teaching and facilitating student leisure and recreational activities
FACILITY & SAFETY MANAGEMENT
- Responsible for managing and maintaining the student home facility
- Ensure a safe, secure, and clean environment by conducting daily home inspection
- Perform minor home maintenance and submitting work orders when necessary to the maintenance department,
- Conduct fire drills and reviewing emergency exit plan with students,
- Responsible for students' personal safety by being aware of student location, attentive to warning signs of emotional distress
- Ensure maintenance of an accurate visiting roster adhering to the established visiting policy, and supporting overall boarding house supervision.
- Responsible for attending to students' health care needs by recognizing students' health care needs and referring to medical services when appropriate
- Recognize and provide support to students in bereavement and separation issues
- Listen actively to students' thoughts, feelings, concerns, and problems, and counsels, when appropriate. Be responsible to the spiritual needs of the student by making appropriate referrals
- Responsible for leading daily devotions and prayer at meals consistent with the religious teaching and role-modeling appropriate choices in movies, music, and television programs.
- Responsible for providing a supportive and flexible structure from which students learn responsibility, problem-solving, and time management
- Providing opportunities for students to practice and demonstrate learned skills including manners, conflict resolution, budgeting, and cooperation and teamwork,
- Teaching students to develop a positive peer culture through helping relationships
- Facilitating students' development of individual and student home goals and objectives,
- Ensure students are taught and practice healthy lifestyles by teaching, coaching, and modeling personal hygiene:
- Responsible for educating and counseling students on dating relationships, human sexuality, and drug and alcohol issues
- To co-ordinate the activities of all reporting staff in relating to the discharge of their duties effectively.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating all records pertaining to pastoral activities of the school.
- Manage and maintain the student statutory records, completing all student performance reports, fire drill reports, break and weekend papers, incident reports, purchase orders, accident reports, core documentation
- Maintain accurate student records from scholastic, medical, psychological, Home Life and other internal/external departments and agencies.
- Prepare weekly report on students activities
- Responsible for deploying personnel and resources efficiently and effectively to meet specific objectives in line with the school’s strategic plan and financial context.
- Ensure active participation of learners in Co-curricular activities both internally and externally (in and outside the school)
COMMUNICATION & RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT
- To ensure that constructive working relationships are formed between staff and pupils
- Responsible for coordinating marketing and admissions activities in the school, ensuring an improvement in enrollment into the school.
- To communicate directly with parents through the use of electronic and print media and also during Parents Teachers Organisation meetings.
- Provide monthly report to the Principal on key responsibility areas
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
The prospect must demonstrate:
- Leadership and effective supervision skills
- Performance evaluation skills.
- Decision-making skills
- Time management skills.
- Team building skills.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Effective verbal and listening communication skills.
- Stress management skills
- Strong People management skills
- Excellent IT skills
- Masters degree (M. Ed), other relevant post-graduate degree/professional qualification will also be an advantage
- A Minimum cognate and working experience of at least 6 years at a Management Level, preferably at least 3 years in a similar role and 5 years as a Supervisor.
- Have a critical understanding of the most effective teaching, learning, and behavior management strategies, including how to select and use approaches that personalize learning to provide opportunities for all learners to achieve their potential.
- Have an extensive and deep knowledge and understanding of their subjects/curriculum areas and related pedagogy gained, for example, through involvement in wider professional networks associated with their subjects/curriculum areas.
- Have an extensive knowledge on matters concerning equality, inclusion and diversity in teaching.
- Have an excellent ability to provide learners, colleagues, parents and carers with timely, accurate and constructive feedback on learners’ attainment, progress and areas for development that promotes pupil progress
- Understanding of differentiation in learning of the pupils.