The Warehouse and Ports Operations Manager will manage a professional and transparent program logistics solution under a US Government funded program for the warehousing of packaged and bulk humanitarian food aid commodities in order to respond rapidly to humanitarian food aid requirements.
· Help manage a program-wide logistics strategy, determining the most appropriate logistics and solutions to meet program performance goals
· Clarify requirements with the Project Manager, team members and client where necessary
· Manage a logistics service in compliance with company quality systems and standards of ethical procurement, USAID donor guidelines and end user requirements
· Root cause analysis and problem resolution for all logistics operations
Sourcing freight requirements
· Ensure a Conduct a competitive process, in line with applicable US government regulations for freight and clearance providers, to ensure optimal performance and value for money.
· Manage and drive continuous improvement of freight services.
· Ensure that the solution and supplier sources proposed by the freight/clearance providers are capable of meeting specification and program goals.
· Responsible for overseeing the consignment and chain of custody up to the point of consignment in-country.
· Ensure all documentation regarding the chain of custody is maintained and adheres to the Project’s standard operating procedures
· Analyze logistics data and trends to ensure optimal supply performance and product availability, making changes in the F&L operations as appropriate to deliver continuous improvement.
· Ensure that logistic activities meet program key performance indicators, and that excellent working relationships are maintained with partners and clients
· Delegate work, coach and manage performance of F&L team members to ensure highest levels of skills and engagement.
· Responsible for internal communications and presentations related to key performance metrics, program updates and on-going program information
· Serve as liaison with all internal and external partners for daily operational activities
· Maintain an on-going and pro-active relationship with clients and vendors, responding to needs and proactively developing solutions.
· Ascertain industry/logistics best practices to identify new and/or unique programs to drive customer satisfaction.
· Monitor and manage the performance of the appointed Freight Company and supplier other relevant services, maintaining continuous liaison as necessary, ensure timely delivery including customs clearance.
· Arrange payment to freight suppliers
· Prepare invoices for clients
· Ensure compliance with USAID rules and regulation
· A Bachelor’s Degree in Business with emphasis in Supply Chain Management, Transportation and Logistics, Sales and Marketing or International Business preferred
· Minimum 5 years of experience in transportation logistics and warehousing operations
· Detailed knowledge of operational procedure regarding air, ocean, import/export business
· Experience with storage and protection of food commodities; managing local drayage and inland transport commodities, obtaining local country agricultural document and clearance preferred
· Prior USAID experience preferred
· Proven negotiation and client relationship skills
· Ability to work and live in one of the following countries: Kenya (Mombasa), Djibouti, Vietname, and Benin or Nigeria.
· Fluency in written and spoken English required