VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
VSO Nigeria is looking to recruit an experienced, skilled and efficient Youth Programme Officer to provide programmatic and administrative support to the Country Office.
This position will be based in Lagos, and reports to the Youth Programmes Manager and South West Cluster Lead.
The person will be responsible for program delivery of ICS and other Y4D programmes in assigned geographic area.
The responsibilities will also include supporting the Cluster Leader (SPO) in effective planning and implementation of Y4D projects in the cluster.
Responsible for program development and delivery of all youth programs in the assigned geographical areas with support of cluster leads and Youth Program Manager.
Skills, qualifications and experience required
• Youth Work Proven experience of working with and providing support to Youths from a wide range of backgrounds with proven ability to facilitate learning in a non-formal environment
• Cross-Cultural Working Ability to communicate to a range of audiences and promote sharing and learning between cultures. Experience of managing change in an international environment. Direct and substantial experience of working cross-culturally.
• International Development Knowledge of issues which are common to communities in developing countries, possibly achieved through working or living in a developing country. Experience of promoting learning about development issues.
• Communication Possession of strong verbal communication skills to work effectively and inclusively with an overseas colleague. Strong written communication skills needed for writing reports.
• Supervision Significant experience of working in a supervisory role. Proven ability to promote self-awareness, learning and development among individuals.
• Planning and Organizing Able to develop clear and realistic plans to deliver agreed objectives within deadlines, involving key individuals in the planning process.
Desirable • Budget Management Experience of managing budgets and undertaking accounting procedures.
• Volunteering Experience of working with volunteers to understand the key factors which make volunteer placements viable, effective and rewarding.
• Programme Design and Evaluation Experience of designing and evaluating youth programmes in an international context. Experience of using monitoring and evaluation tools and processes.
• NGO Experience Practical experience gained within a volunteering/NGO context and of managing a volunteer programme.