Associate/Investment Officer- Lagos, Nigeria- 131283 Full Time
Lagos, Nigeria | MBA / MSc | 5 - 7 years | Full Time | Male or Female | Banking / Finance / Insurance | Banking / Financial Services
The International Finance Corporation (“IFC” or the “Corporation”), the private sector arm of the World Bank Group, is the largest multilateral provider of financing for private enterprise in emerging markets. IFC provides loans, equity, structured finance and risk management tools as well as advisory services to build the private sector in developing countries. IFC invests in private sector projects that are financially and economically viable and have a substantial development impact. The Manufacturing, Agribusiness and Services Department (“MAS”), one of IFC’s industry departments, supports investments in the real sector to fuel economic growth in client countries and enhance IFC’s developmental impact.
MAS is recruiting an Associate/Investment Officer (“IO”) to join the Portfolio Team which manages and monitors IFC’s investments in Sub-Saharan Africa (“CAF”). IFC Investment Officers are an integral part of multidisciplinary teams of highly qualified professionals who have expertise in the regions and/or sectors in which we do business. Investment teams consist of lawyers, environmental and social specialists, and economists, as well as technical specialists.
The selected candidate will be based in Lagos, Nigeria and will work under the oversight of the Portfolio Manager for MAS CAF based in Johannesburg, South Africa.
The Investment Officer’s primary responsibility will be to actively manage an assigned portfolio of projects in the CAF region. He/she will also engage in repeat business development and processing of new transactions which maximize development impact as well as investment sustainability and profitability across the region.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Actively manage an assigned portfolio of IFC companies, including monitoring and ensuring compliance with the terms of the investment agreements, preparing timely credit risk assessment reports and equity valuations, tracking and recording the development impacts of projects, and developing and implementing equity sales strategies.
• Identify early warning signals for assigned projects, and where necessary, evaluate structure, negotiate, and close portfolio restructurings, rescheduling, capital increases, equity sales, etc.
• Identify opportunities for repeat investments and/or advisory services, and prepare the preliminary review of overall credit/business assessment and deal structuring for straight forward transactions.
• Participate in negotiations; use negotiation skills to overcome impasses and finalize negotiations in straightforward transactions.
• Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to further develop the sector and to develop specific investment opportunities.
• Coordinate closely with social, environmental, and advisory services colleagues in order to add value to our clients' businesses, find pragmatic solutions to the specific sector challenges, and achieve sustainable development impact.
• Identify and evaluate opportunities to increase the social development impact of new or portfolio projects.
• MBA, Masters Degree in Finance or Equivalent.
• 5+ years and proven track-record in project, structured, or corporate finance.
• Experience in portfolio supervision and/or investment transactions, with proven success in developing client relationships as well as sourcing, structuring and closing quality investments.
• Knowledge of and experience in emerging markets; knowledge of the manufacturing, agribusiness or services sector(s) a plus.
• Strong financial and credit skills; sound business judgment and demonstrated ability to structure a variety of financial instruments (debt and equity).
• Client relationship skills, track record and ability to focus on client needs effectively.
• Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of clients, financial and technical partners as well as senior government officials.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English; fluency in other languages (French, Portuguese or Spanish) a plus.
• Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds.
• Highly motivated, committed to highest ethical standards, and genuine commitment to sustainable development.
• Willingness to travel extensively and geographic flexibility.
• Excellent organizational, administrative, and time management skills.
• Proven ability to work independently and deliver promptly and efficiently under pressure and meet tight deadlines.