Banyan Global is currently recruiting a Business Strengthening Advisor, for work under a USAID-funded health sector development project in Nigeria, with a focus on family planning, reproductive health and maternal and child health. Among other objectives, the project seeks to improve the ability of private sector health providers to manage their practices profitability, and to access credit. With enhanced business capabilities, these businesses will enhance their ability to offer high-quality health care products and services.
Banyan Global is currently seeking a Business Strengthening Advisor to work with both financial institutions and prospective borrowers in order to stimulate financing to private health providers. This position will be based in Lagos, and is open to Nigerian nationals only.
- Provide general leadership and strategic guidance for business strengthening activities.
- Meet regularly with the project Chief of Party and heads of other project units to participate in project leadership and strategic decision-making.
- Manage the collection, entry, and analysis of data collected through business activities.
- Act as the primary point of contact with the senior management of partner financial institutions.
- Lead assessments designed to better understand specific issues and challenges.
- Develop and implement a strategy for ensuring the sustainability of business strengthening activities beyond the life of the project, working closely with associations and other partner entities.
- Provide general institutional strengthening to provider associations, towards ensuring the professional and efficient operation of these organizations.
- Facilitate the production of an annual health sector trade fair, supported by the project but with the provider associations retaining primary ownership and responsible for contributing the necessary time and effort.
- Assist with other project activities as needed
- A minimum 7 years of experience working in SME development
- Knowledge and understanding of the business and financing challenges faced by SMEs in Nigeria
- Familiarity with the private health sector in Nigeria
- Knowledge and experience with the policy and regulatory environment as relates to the business operations of private health providers in Nigeria
- Knowledge of, and experience implementing, business development services, including training, counseling, and facilitating access to finance
- Experience with assessments and research focused on markets, business, finance, or economics
- Experience managing a team of skilled technical professionals
- Excellent project management, communication, writing, and computer skills
- Familiarity with monitoring and evaluation methodology and reporting procedures
- Ability to negotiate, manage and build partnerships
- Master’s degree in Finance, Economics, Business Administration or other relevant discipline
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to travel within Nigeria (up to 30%)
- Previous experience working on USAID projects is a plus