New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) seeks to appoint a Legal Assistant to provide administrative support and assistance to the Associate General Counsel. The suitable candidate will research and respond to enquiries, manage records and retain files of prepared legal documents and coordinate requests between internal and external counsel.
- Resolve a variety of general and complex inquiries in connection with requests for information. Determine matters that require the Associate General Counsel’s attention. Provide confidential support for the Associate General Counsel in Abu Dhabi. Serve as liaison for the Associate General Counsel with internal and external constituents interpreting and communicating policies and procedures, and resolve issues as appropriate; ensure timely attainment of office objectives and management support for routine and special projects.
- Manage the tracking and processing of subpoenas and record requests through implementation software applications and supporting technology.
- Oversee the maintenance of matter files; ensure confidentiality of all files and correspondences. Assist in document review, collection and preparation and other projects as needed to assist with ongoing litigation. Execute other special projects as requested.
- Performing legal administrative duties, including dealing with license renewals, appointment of authorized signatories, issuance of POA's, coordinating trade/commercial registration renewals for other offices.
- Performing other administrative duties related to composing routine letters and correspondence for supervisor's review and approval. Proofread documents for accuracy and completeness. Perform other general word processing and data entry duties. Create and update spreadsheets. Schedule appointments, maintain individual and/or department calendar, and make arrangements for meetings and travel to and from the University. Monitor activity of moderately complex department budgets, expense reports and/or grants and maintain data on spreadsheets. Review expenses and invoices for accuracy, investigate discrepancies, and report results to supervisor.
Education requirements (essential)
- Degree educated from a reputable institution.
Education requirements (desirable)
- Legal qualification is highly desired. Paralegal education is preferred.
Experience requirements (essential)
- 3 years of experience as a Legal Assistant working for an International Law Firm/Multinational organization, and with relative experience assisting a high-level executive or equivalent combination
- Previous experience liaising with Government ministries in the UAE
- English and Arabic comprehension, both oral and written; must be able to transcribe.
Experience requirements (desirable)
- Expereince within the UAE Experience is an advantage
- Bilingual - English and Arabic speaker essential with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Familiarity with Emirati law and regulations
- Excellent computer skills
- Ability to work with people in a high volume, fast paced environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work collegially with diverse personnel
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and problem solving skills
- Ability to effectively communicate sensitive information verbally and in writing to a diverse population