REPORTS TO: Managing Director/GM
The job holder is responsible for the effective and efficient management of the Legal department, provision of legal advisory services and ensuring effective management of legal and contractual risks.
- Legal risk
- Review and provide legal advice on tender documents.
- Review ongoing cases and advice management accordingly.
- Liaise with relevant departments to ensure that where legal risks have been identified, appropriate courses of action have been taken.
- Provide legal protection and risk management advice to management especially on contract management.
- Provide and interpret legal information, conduct training and disseminate appropriate legal requirements to staff.
- Review and advise management on legal implications of internal policies and procedures.
- Review and draft contracts, agreements and internal policies and ensure that they are in compliance with all statutory or legal requirements.
- Review progress of outstanding litigation and liaise with and manage external lawyers.
- Formulate compliance check-lists to be used for the purpose of ensuring that all information required is provided accordingly.
- Continuously monitor compliance with statutory obligations and advise management accordingly.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports for the department for executive management meetings.
- Review all contracts or any other documentation where the Company has committed itself and assess legal implications that need to be brought to the executive management’s attention.
- Prepare, review and modify contractual instruments to assist and support various business activities.
- Negotiate, review and draft documentation for business transactions and prepare and advise on the necessary checklist to be adopted to ensure information is submitted on time.
- Legal advisory and contracts management
- LLB graduate degree; Masters degree will be an added advantage
- At least 8 years legal experience ideally in a leading organisation, with a proven track record in contract negotiation and drafting
- Proven track record of providing accurate and effective legal counsel
- Proven track record of adding value to an organization through the development of comprehensive contract documents that mitigate risk and penalties skills.
- Excellent relationship management and communication skills necessary for interaction with the Judicial system and negotiating parties
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and experience with, laws dealing with government and/or commercial contract administration, particularly contract negotiation, preparation and administration
- Ability to provide independent advice (orally and in writing) to senior level management on highly technical matters
- Demonstrate success in managing and conducting a variety of litigation matters
- Good planning and organization skills
- Proven ability to delicately solve sensitive matters