Sous Chef - Tortuga - Mina A' Salam - Madinat Jumeirah Resort Full Time
Dubayy [Dubai], United Arab Emirates | Diploma | 5 - 7 years | Full Time | Male or Female | Food & Beverages | Hospitality/Leisure
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a talented Sous Chef to join Tortuga at Mina A' Salam - Madinat Jumeirah. The main purpose of this role is to assist the Executive Chef / Executive Sous Chef to set standards and maintain them to the Madinat Jumeirah standards. Ensure the smooth operation of the outlet by optimising the use of materials and manpower, thereby maximising revenue and guest satisfaction.
Your key responsibilities would include:
- Assisting the Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chef in the supervision of all colleagues engaged in the kitchen.
- Attending daily meetings with the senior Culinary team regarding the updates for the day and reviewing the list of things to do.
- Holding meetings with the colleagues in the kitchen to discuss what has been carried out in the Chef's meetings.
- Planning menus and compiling recipes for food tastings to be approved by the Executive Chef and/or the Executive Sous Chef.
- Ensuring that specific and accurate product specifications are used in writing the recipes, wherever possible, needs to use local and seasonal products available to make the dishes in the menus easily.
- Identifying market needs and trends in terms of food for both hotel guests and the local Market.
- Developing menus, buffets (where applicable) and "specials" which meet the needs of the target market and are in line with the operating concept for the restaurant.
- Checking food preparation, individual costs, quality, quantity inventories and portion control on a daily basis.
- During service periods, to personally run the hot plate and assist when needed and to ensure that the presentation as well as quality of the food is in accordance with the established standards.
- Checking the daily function sheets.
- Planning and implementing effective skills training programmes in conjunction with the Training Manager and Departmental Trainers.
- Assisting the Executive Chef / Executive Sous Chef in interviewing and recruiting.
In order to be considered for this role, you will have a recognised Culinary qualification and you should have at least five years of experience in an international 5 star hotel. You should currently be in a similar role with a particular focus on Mexican cuisine.
It is essential that you have good leadership skills and must be able to coach and motivate people.
This is a very "hands on" and demanding position so it is paramount that you work well in a team but are also able to set standards and lead by example at all times. You must be comfortable working under pressure and be passionate about producing cuisine of the highest possible standards.
This position offers a highly competitive salary and package which includes; your own single room accommodation/live out allowance, free transport to and from your place of work, uniform, laundry services, meals during working hours, annual flight allowance, medical coverage, life and accident insurance, retail and leisure discounts, 50% discount off Jumeirah F&B Outlets and reduced hotel rates.